Administration About Infinite Campus and Schoolloop Academic Integrity Policy Attendance Bell Schedules CHS Calendar Cafeteria Information Start of School Information & Forms Community Service Challenge Day ChallengeSuccess CHS Alumni Destinations Directions to CHS Faculty Advisory Committee Map - Campus/Parking Map - Traffic Plan Recycling Program Staff Development Staff Directory Staff Resources Student Technology Use Policy School Profile Technology Tino News Today Use of Facilities Web Publishing Guidelines Be A Part of CHS History!
Academics Home Library Art Department Business Department Drama Department ELD Department English Department Industrial Technology Department Living Skills Department Math Department Music Department Physical Education Department Science Department Social Studies Department Special Education Department World Language Department AVID Student Center for Success Terra Nova
Welcome to the Guidance Department! Concurrent Enrollment CHS Course Selection Guide Four-Year Planning Frequently Asked Questions Grade Level Information New Students Request for Transcripts Taking Courses Outside of CHS Student Support Services College & Career Center
ASB ASB Student Bank Band Clubs Websites Orchestra Choir Cheer Squad Drama Facilities Golden Spurs Grad Night Speech and Debate Club Tino Prospector
Athletics Home Athletics Boosters Registration Year-Round Fall Sports Winter Sports Spring Sports Coach Resources
Community Home Athletic Boosters Alumni CHS Bond Program ELD Families (ELAC) Familias Latinas Unidas Grad Night Hall of Fame Comunity Resources Korean Parents Group PTSA School Site Council Help Page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the best way to reach a counselor?

  • The best way to reach a counselor for current students is to visit the guidance office to speak with any available guidance counselor. Depending on the topic, it may then be suggested for the student to meet with their alpha guidance counselor and/or schedule an appointment for a longer discussion.


  • Parents are encouraged to contact their student's alpha guidance counselor via email or phone instead of visiting the guidance office unexpectedly.  It is also helpful to describe the questions/concerns in the message in order for the counselor to be readily prepared in their response.


  • There will be times, such as the start of the school year and during course registration period, when guidance counselors will not be available to meet. We thank you in advance for your understanding and hope students/parents attend and actively participate in the course selection presentations to have questions/concerns answered at that time.

I am an 8th grade student/parent, can I meet with a CHS Guidance Counselor?

The Guidance Counselors will be happy to meet with you or your student after he/she begins the first day of high school. In the meantime, we have some common questions listed below. Also, we hold 8th Grade Registration Nights led by CHS Guidance Counselors and Administrators. At these presentations, information will be provided that will likely answer questions that you have.

We know coming to high school can be a bit anxiety-provoking and you may have a number of questions.  We will help you build your (students) 9th grade schedule in a step-by-step method during the 8th Grade Registration Night in February.  English, math, science, PE are all required courses for 9th graders.  Most 9th grade students also take a world language.  These represent five out of a possible six guaranteed classes.  This leaves one other elective class to select.  While course selection may seem like a complicated process with lots of choices, it actually is not.  

All other guidance related questions (course planning for remaining high school years, college planning, etc.) will happily be answered once your student has arrived at CHS.  There will be an opportunity following the 8th Grade Registration Night to address special circumstances /unique situations. Details are on the final slide of the Guidance Presentation and on the Guidance calendar. Please visit the Guidance Presentation page for details.

I am an 8th grade student, can I earn credit before starting high school?

No. You cannot earn CHS high school credit prior to your August start date of freshman year. Although a student may not earn high school credit for work completed in the summer between 8th and 9th grade year, coursework completed at an accredited institution may be used for high school placement purposes. 

As a 9th grader, can playing a sport exempt me from taking PE 9?

No, PE 9 is a state requirement for all freshmen students, therefore no 9th grader is exempt from taking PE 9. We do encourage 9th grade students try out for an athletic team, and depending on your schedule and the number of credits you are taking (6 classes), you may be able to earn 5 elective credits for your sport. 

Ok, so I cannot earn PE credit in 9th grade through sports, but how about in my 10th, 11th and 12th grade years?

  • Yes! In 10th grade and beyond, if you make a CHS athletic team, remain eligible, and successfully complete the entire season (a season is considered to be "complete" at the discretion of the coach or athletic director), you can earn five credits of PE, provided you do not exceed earning 70 credits per year.

  • You must have 20 credits of PE in order to graduate from Cupertino. You will have earned 10 of these credits by successfully completing a year of 9th grade PE.

  • You can earn the remainder by simply taking another full year of PE sometime in 10th-12th grade (we strongly recommend 10th grade because 11th grade is academically intensive and most seniors don't want to take PE). Or, through participation in a  CHS athletic team.

  • You can play one sport and earn 5 credits each year or play multiple sports and earn up to 10 credits each year. 

  • When choosing your classes you would select 'PE Athletics'. Since you cannot earn more than 70 credits in one school year, if you are enrolled in 7 classes, your team sport would not earn any credit. 

  • Once your PE requirement is met, athletic team participation can earn elective credit so long as you are in 6 classes or less.

Can I take two classes in the same subject in the year (i.e. two science class or two math classes)?


No, Our school policy is that students cannot "double-up" in any one subject area.  The reality is, due to limited section allocation (directly related to limited school funding), we do not have space available for students to take two of any subject area in any one year.

How do I take an Honors or AP class that was not recommended by my current teacher?

Cupertino High School has an open enrollment policy, however, a process is in place to ensure a student receives specific information about their academic skills and future success. This process involves a student meeting with their current teacher to discuss concerns about placement and learn areas for growth and improvement. Once this conversation has taken place, the parent/guardian and student can indicate their choice on their registration paperwork which will be reviewed by a guidance counselor.

Can I take a summer class?

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind if you are considering taking a summer class:

  • The outside educational institution must be accredited.

  • If you are a current student seeking credit for a summer class, you must obtain, fill out, and supply all required documentation for the form, Request for Credit from Outside Institution. This form, with required documentation, must be obtained from and submitted to your Cupertino High School assistant principal in the main office. You will then be notified whether you are approved or not. Approval is not automatic. We strongly suggest that you not pay summer school registration fees until you hear back from us. The maximum amount of credits that can be approved from an outside educational institution is 40 credits. Note: the course(s) will only be considered toward graduation or college eligibility.

  • FUHSD allows students to earn a maximum of 70 credits per year. If a student had successfully completed 70 credits in the academic year, credits cannot be approved to be transferred from an outside educational institution.

  • We have an excellent working relationship with our surrounding private schools. If you received approval to take a class for credit, you must submit your student's official transcript before it will be recorded onto their FUHSD transcript. Subiit your transcript to the CHS Registrar as early in August as possible.

  • Many students attend summer programs in math, science etc. These can be dynamic, enriching learning experiences. However, unless they are accredited high school academic programs, with pre-approval from us, via the 'Request for Credit from Outside Educational Institution,' they cannot be used in the place of required classes or to skip levels of classes.

  • You cannot earn credit for a class that you have already taken and are trying to replace a grade; all grades that have been earned will remain on the transcript.